Into The Schmutz With Neil T. Anderson

by on December 13th, 2012

(A Brief Review of Rough Road to Freedom: A Memoir by Neil T. Anderson; Monarch Book, 2012, $14.99)

Author Neil Anderson is known as The Bondage Breaker from the title of one of his books (see our article “Cure All Bondages” beginning on page 4) . He recently published his biography entitled, Rough Road to Freedom. His forte is deliverance from demons but in a gentle low keyed style euphemistically called by Anderson, “freedom encounters.” There is not a lot of freedom felt when a Christian is told they have a demon inside of them. It is a case of saddling you with a problem that you did not know you had simply because Anderson says so. He eschews being thought of as an exorcist and is against the rambunctious, hollering commanding type of exorcist. Though there is a stylistic difference it is the same game with a different name.

Drawing from his new bio and other of his writings I would like to summarize Anderson’s extreme views in capsule form hoping that it will stir reader’s to their own biblical research to “find out if these things are so”, (Acts 17:11). This compilation of some of his major presuppositions is rather startling and can be viewed as religious schmutz. If the average pastor claimed to believe these things he would be looking for a job or given medication. Anderson is applauded by many of the big names in the Christian world. Publishing some books can do amazing things in a celebrity culture.

Departing from Dave Letterman’s list of 10 and observing the number 13 (considered very important to Anderson) I will list 13 of the most extreme and egregious views of Neil Anderson without comment. The extended and detailed research on these teachings can be easily gotten from Anderson’s own biography, Rough Road To Freedom, his books, namely, The Bondage Breaker and an extensive heavily documented article and critique generated by Personal Freedom Outreach in St. Louis Missouri . The following then is the schmutz we would be in if we accepted what Anderson says. These are all his ideas and one would be hard pressed to find them anywhere in the Bible.

1. The superstition of Friday the 13th has supernatural, spiritual significance even though the importance of the date for unbelievers goes back only about 100 years.
2. Of even more spiritual significance is a full moon on Friday the 13th.
3. Even if those claiming satanic ritual abuse are not telling the truth – accepting what they say is the only way to help them.
4. The night time of 3 a.m. is the prime time for demonic activity and even more so on Friday the 13th when there is a full moon.
5. Visions of Francis of Assisi are true and should be believed.
6. Demons can occupy the bodies of believers.
7. The demons in believers are actually located in the nervous system of the human body.
8. There is no need or sense of obligation to defend any systematic theology.
9. Criticism of these ideas is characterized as slander and cruelty.
10. Watchman Nee is someone worth quoting.
11. Contemplative prayer is a very good thing as are formulaic prayers.
12. Admits that his theology has been affected by his experiences.
13. Claims that the Bible is his only rule of faith and practice even though 1-12 cannot be found there in any form or fashion. The next 13 plus can be discovered in his writings.

The opposite of the above is as follow: The Bible is clear that demons are always external to the believer and never internal. Satan and demons can tempt a Christian but not in anyway indwell them since their bodies are the very temple of the Holy Spirit. As well there is not one word in the Bible that encourages a believer to have any kind of exorcism gentle or rough. Jesus did not perform exorcisms in any form but simply spoke a word to dispel demons. Sin is to be taken seriously and dealt with by confession to God but never mistaken for a demon. Sanctification is a life long struggle but God gives grace. The only way to thoroughly clean up schmutz is to clean it up with large applications of the Word of God. Do your own research, get the above studies, and compare all of it to your Bible and what it teaches. Then help someone extract themselves from false teaching and clean up the spiritual schmutz.

9 responses to “Into The Schmutz With Neil T. Anderson ”

1. Bud Press says:

Sometimes, what looks legitimate on the outside may be rotten on the inside. Thanks to Richard Fisher for equipping the body of Christ, and helping us to see the vast difference between God’s truth and deceptive “schmutz”.

2. Mtn Girl says:

Excellent points made about the error of this book and the whole thing about Christians having “demons.” I went through a period when I was married to a man obsessed with the idea of Christians having demons and he would cast them out of me. At one point saying he could “smell” the demons around me. Did it make me feel like somehow I was responsbible for it? Yes, indeed it did. It was awful.

3. Yiddish is a language developed by the Jews in Europe. Yiddish has some interesting sounding words. One of those Yiddish words is the word schmutz. The word schmutz has a range of meanings and can be described as soiled, icky, a mess as in “I have schmutz all over my face”. It is also used of something of inferior quality. If one is having lots of serious problems they might say they have fallen into the schmutz.

4. Mike Oregon says:

” By their fruits you will know them” (Mt. 7:20). I am one of the multitude of people who have been set free thanks to Pastor Anderson’s books. He helped me to find and–most importantly–to feel the infinite love that Jesus has for me. All my life, I believed the lies of the devil: “you are unworthy”, “God doesn’t love you”… I don’t know who you are nor your intentions, however, your little article about Pastor Anderson’s book was written clearly not out of love but out of pride, ignorance and–let’s say it–evident envy. I don’t care much for your pseudo-theological reservations about his book/s. The truth is that Pastor Andreson has been helping people to realize who they are in Christ for decades and that it is far more important than your sad atempt to descredite him. As far as I know, he never said he was infallible, you, on the other hand, seems to be quite certain and categorical…. Why don’t you write about his other “80%” instead? You would do to yourself (and to others) a big favor…

5. Jeanne says:

Dear Mike,
    It is only by the grace of God that you feel you were helped by Mr. Anderson. I attended a few days long seminar that he held and it didn’t do a thing for me. Please give God the glory and not Neil Anderson.

6. Jim says:

Dear Jeanne, I was saddened to hear your assessment of a brother in Christ:

“If I may say so, the picture of him on the cover of his book, looks, well, he doesn’t look like somone who walks in freedom. As a matter of fact, for someone who claims to be free from demonic activity, he looks quite the opposite.”

Such a characterization is a clear violation of many verses, not the least of which is Eph. 4:29, Mt. 7:1.

I am in the process of reading several of Dr. Anderson’s books, to see if what he teaches lines up with scripture, and to see if those who assert him to be heretical are correct or if they are taking his statements out of context. i recall how the religious crowd was jealous, and hateful to the point of seeking to kill Jesus on many occasions, until finally they did, only the reality was Jesus was always in control, and gave himself over to them.

They (the world) is supposed to know we are Christians by our love. God have mercy on us all,
    I myself have violated the scriptures i’ve mentioned, just this week, i have also repented.

I realize that i must give an account for every word spoken, i wonder if that applies to every word written? please see Mt. 12:26,37. then 2 Cor 5:10. I share this not to shame you, or to elevate myself, i hare it in love. your brother in Christ. Jim

7. Jim says:

Dear Pastor Fischer,

I was wondering if you could give me a page number for any or all of the 13 assertions listed in your article. i am currently enjoying reading for the first time all of Mr. Andersons books, and have yet to find anything out of order. In response to #6 above you have stated that Mr. Anderson is teaching:

6. Demons can occupy the bodies of believers.

Where exactly is that statement? I have just read pages 186-187 in ‘the bondage breaker’, and i have yet to find that statement.

i did find this however: (pg 186 near the bottom) “to be demonized means to be under the control of one or more demons. The term never occurs in the epistles, so we have no way of precisely knowing how it would apply in the church age. It is my belief that every believer is Holy Spirit Possessed” (quote from Neil Anderson)

Clearly that statement goes against your assertion and insinuation that Dr. Anderson is a (Schmutz)
    I thought name calling was something we all left behind in grade school, but apparently not.

He (Dr. Anderson) goes on to say on page 187 “The influence that demons can have on believers is a matter of degree.”

It is not my goal to call you names sir or to try and put you down, but to humbly say what is the truth? Are you telling me that the thousands of people who are walking in greater freedom, and experiencing the fruit of the spirit, etc etc (as a result of Mr Andersons books) are the product of a heretical cult leader? What exactly are you saying and where is the page number and book? Facts are stubborn things. I have quoted several clear statements, that at least for me make a lot more sense then simply calling somebody names.

I have yet to run across some of your other points, but will keep my eye out. I trust you are not taking things out of context? I can only guess you might, because clearly # 6 (above) missed the point….(or perhaps it missed the mark) If i am wrong, please help me see what the truth is. Your brother in Christ. Jim

8. Jim says:

Dear Pastor Fischer,

Please allow me to quote from page 51 of ‘The Bondage Breaker’ by your brother in Christ, Mr Neil Anderson, (the Schmutz)

This is in response to your assertion #12 above:

“12. Admits that his theology has been affected by his experiences.” (Fischer)

Page 51: “We don’t make anything true by our experience.” (Anderson)

I have no idea how you concluded your point based upon the fact of what is written on page 51.

Would you kindly show me the danger of his actual statement, or show me where he stated what you assert?
    Your Brother in Christ, Jim

PS – my theology became real (i experienced love) when i received Christ, i also experienced freedom from drugs, and a while lot more. What is wrong with that? Trust me i understand that doctrine trumps experience….but again where exactly does Mr Anderson say what you say he says?

9. Jim says: